March 7, 2019
for Sunday, March 10
Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16
Can it really be that easy? Don’t we have to do this and this and that and be good enough to be saved, to become God’s children? It’s a matter of the heart and the mouth. We believe in our hearts and confess that faith.
Each Sunday, we together confess our faith in the Creed. In that, we are saying “Yes” to Jesus. It’s good that our hearts say “Yes,” for then we will not be put to shame. And, we are telling each other about it.
What do we do after leaving church? Does the confession of Jesus as Lord stay in the church? If it does, we’re sunk. We have to have it become part of our being, something we share with others.
Lent has begun. With the foci of pray, reflection and repentance and giving, we have an opportunity to develop our faith life. We can de-clutter our minds and hearts and open ourselves to what God would say to us. “…the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on him” (v. 12).
Pastor Ivy Gauvin
8b“The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart”
(that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved. 11The scripture says, “No one who believes in him will be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on him. 13For, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Names will remain of the Prayer List for a month - at which
time it will be taken off unless, or course, there is still a continued need
for our prayers and we’re asked to keep the name on.
***REMINDER – DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME BEGINS THIS SUNDAY AT 2:00 AM; CHANGE YOUR CLOCKS AHEAD ONE HOUR BEFORE GOING TO BED SATURDAY NIGHT... YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS CHURCH!
On the five Wednesdays of Lent, please join your St. Timothy’s church family at 6:00 pm for weekly “Dinner Church” along with speakers from area agencies. What is dinner church? "Dinner Church” is just what it sounds like. Church around the dinner table: cuisine, conversation, and Christ. The best part? It’s how church started" (dinnerchurches.com). Dinner Church is not a liturgy or a service or simply a meal. It's a little bit of everything together.
Come and see and experience what this will look like at St. Timothy.
#1 March 13 – Speaker is Judy Wroda from NY Connects
Judy assists all persons in Chautauqua County by helping them find services and programs that are available to them to ensure they live their life the way they would like to live it with the supports that are available to them in the community. She provides assistance to all persons in Chautauqua County, regardless of age, income or disability. She will be speaking about dementia.
#2 March 20 – Speaker is Susan Justham, Director of Love INC
#3 March 27 – Speaker is Steven Cobb, Executive Dir of Mental Health Association
#4 April 3 -- Speaker is Jeff Rotunda, Program Director of UCAN
#5 April 10 -- Speaker is Nancy Dundar from Chautauqua Opportunities
***ONLINE GIVING now available at St. Timothy for Debit/Credit cards. 3 ways to give:
- Go directly to our website at www.sttimothybemus.com
- Use our QR code with the QR reader on your smartphone
- Download the app ‘GivePlus Church’. Create an account.
For further information, contact Kathy Carlson at 485-1316.
***45 bins of food have been collected for the 5 Loaves and 2 Fish Ministry (referred to as the 5 & 2 Ministry, http://www.5and2minisry.com). Thank you to everyone who is supporting this ministry. The donation process is not limited to the church but open to everyone in the community. Information cards about the ministry are available in the church narthex to make it easy to share this project with your friends and co-workers – talk it up!
***Healthy Bones Exercise Class continues to meet Monday and Wednesday at 9:00 am in the fellowship hall of St. Timothy. This is a bone-strengthening, low impact class for men and women. All are welcome!
In the case of Inclement Weather, driving bans or road closings, be sure to check WGRZ & WIVB cancellations and closings for the service at St. Timothy Lutheran Church.
▪ for our community of faith as we seek to do God’s work in the world;
▪ for those in our congregation and community who suffer silently with illness, financial burdens, and family obligation
▪ for victims of violence and their families in all places.
▪ for Rev. Don Ray, Pat & Maureen Kibbe, George & Janet Balcom, Beverly Klang, Carolyn Wickerham, Trudy Fetzner, Arden Johnson, Thom Shagla, Matt Isaacson, Sarah Van Staalduinen, Mabel Tranum, Ilene Chiotti, Bryan Brown, Craig Jackson, Marty Maxwell, Jim Doherty, Karen Brown, Ross Gardner, Bonnie Christoferson, Zachary Stewart, Scott Stearns, Zachary Frazier. For people serving in the military, including Ben Wickerham, and their families, those caught up in persecution, violence and war.
• For all children, that the love of Christ may reach them through all of us who have resources to love, protect, pray and provide for them.
• For: The ELCZ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Zimbabwe and ELCZa Evangelical Lutheran Church in Zambia.